Thursday, October 13, 2011

Oct 25 The Moth in Louisville Round II: Neighborhoods

Gabe Bullard, host of this month's Moth Story Slam
I was grateful that I thought to get advanced tickets to last month's debut of the Moth Story Slam at Headliner's; lots of people I know weren't so lucky and were turned away at the door when the show sold out. If anything, I expect this month's installment of the Story Slam will be even more popular: I'm thinking everyone who saw last month's event spread the good word to anyone who would listen.

If you're anything like me, you've been a fan of The Moth Radio Hour for a while now; the show features the best stories from events from around the country. At the Moth Story Slams, a theme is announced in advance (this month's theme is "Neighborhoods"), and on the night of the show, everyone who has prepared a five-minute story puts their name in a hat. Ten names are drawn, and those people are invited on stage to deliver their stories. The winner of the event is voted upon by a panel of judges chosen from the audience.

I'm particularly excited about this month's installment because it's being hosted by friend and Awesome Louisvillager, Gabe Bullard, News Director for WFPL.  Bullard bravely took the stage as the first storyteller of the evening in last month's Story Slam and eventually came in second (by my math, at least).

Producer Tara Anderson promises more chairs this time, but I was just fine standing. Trust me, get your tickets in advance. Doors are at 7pm and the show starts at 8pm. If you want to tell a story, remember the theme is Neighborhoods and you should get there pretty early to make sure you get your name in the hat.  Tickets are $8 and are available on the Headliner's website. It's October 25, the last Tuesday of the month. More Story Slams are scheduled every last Tuesday of the month through December.

(And yes, I'm always looking for a reason to post that awesome picture of Gabe Bullard.)

No comments: