Thursday, May 6, 2010

Louisville Orchestra Doc at Baxter

I love documentaries.  A good documentary can be more compellingly watchable than some of the best feature films. I just recently re-Tivo-ed "Murderball," and I can't wait to watch it again.  And of course, as part of the NOLA diaspora, I can't recommend "Trouble the Water" or Spike Lee's "When the Levees Broke" highly enough.  (Actually, here's a little personal PSA:  If you live in America-- and I venture you do-- I think it's your personal responsibility to watch one or both of those films.)  (And another FYI aside: Lee is working on a sequel to "When the Levees" as we speak.) 

So I'm committing to go see "Music Makes A City: A Louisville Orchestra Story" when it hits the Baxter, either at the premiere on May 20 or during its week-long run May 21-27.  According to the CJ:  "The feature-length film tells the story of the Louisville Orchestra's project to commission new works from contemporary composers around the world. In 1953, the orchestra received a $400,000 grant from the Rockefeller Foundation to commission 52 compositions a year for three years. The architect of the venture was Louisville Mayor Charles Farnsley."  

The film is co-directed and co-produced by Owsley Brown III, of the Brown-Forman Browns.  He lives in San Francisco but still owns local businesses.  (I'd never heard the name "Owsley" before to Louisville, but this city is just lousy with Owsleys.  And I'm sure I'm not alone in ALWAYS wanting to spell the name: O-W-L-S-E-Y-- Am I right?)

No comments: