Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Samurai Exhibit at Frazier-- Coming Soon!

I once had a boyfriend who gave me a sword for my birthday. Scratch that. He was actually my ex-boyfriend at the time. And although I think (that time), I was technically the dump-er and he was the dump-ee, I was so overwhelmingly moved by this gift. I remember thinking, "Man, I have always really wanted a sword, and he just knew I would never go out and buy a sword for myself. That's so sweet."

This wasn't, like, high school. I was in my late-early twenties at the time. And yes, I still have the sword, and no I have never had cause to use it. But it's pretty. And I am glad it's there.

And I happen to know that that ex-boyfriend recently married a woman who is totally the kind of person who would also appreciate being given a sword for her birthday. And I've recently-ish entered into a relationship with a man who gave me comic books about a samurai rabbit for Christmas (which I loved).

So... it's all good.

And you'd better bet that visiting the upcoming "Samurai" exhibit at the Frazier Museum will be an easy, no-brainer date for us. From their website:

May 12 through September 30, 2012

Centuries old armor made of iron, silk and gilded metal showcase how the Samurai used their artistry to convey ferocity and instill fear. Personal items, such as painted scrolls and screens, reveal a more intimate side of Samurai culture and help expose the role of women in Samurai society. An exhibition of extraordinary beauty, artistry and richness, “Samurai” tells the epic tale of the rise and fall of one of the greatest warrior cultures in history.

This original Frazier History Museum exhibition will feature national treasure-level artifacts from Japanese and American collections, and will be shown exclusively at the Frazier Museum. “Samurai” presents a once in a lifetime opportunity to see some of the finest artifacts relating to the legacy left by this great warrior culture.

So excited!


No comments: