Sunday, April 11, 2010

Speed Museum and More

My goodness, I have so much to blog about! Sorry for the downtime, but Mama has been on Spring Break. And while Spring Break may have one time meant pina coladas on the beach, this year, it was more of a Staycation. I did spend three days in New England visiting Family O' Lou, but then it was back to Kentucky for stuff around the house and a few days out in the "real" Kentucky (ie. Lexington). There will be more on that in later blogs. But here's some local stuff that I gots to be covering...

  • Did you know that the Speed Art Museum is now open til 9m on Fridays?? I am embarrassed to note that I only discovered the Speed a month or so ago. Parking at U of L is just so hideous that I have avoided the museum. I still don't have a good solution to that problem (email or comment if YOU do), but I just LOVE the fact that we have a museum open late on a Friday night. (on a side note, when you enter the Speed, the gallery to your left-- I swear it is painted the most beautiful shade of blue I have EVER seen).

  • Actors Theatre has announced its 2010-11 season. Here's the line-up: THE KITE RUNNER (based on the best-selling book), THE MYSTERY OF IRMA VEP: A PENNY DREADFUL (a gothic melodrama-- the play I am most looking forward to seeing), BAREFOOT IN THE PARK (the Neil Simon masterpiece), THE SECOND CITY: IT TAKES A VILLE (a production of the famous Second City comedy troupe), MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM (an August Wilson play), and POOR BEHAVIOR (a world premiere).
  • Next weekend is Thunder over Louisville. I'm always at odds with this event. The display of military might and the expenditure of so many natural resources kind of leave me feeling ... bleh. That being said, it's a big day for us Louisvillagers; let me know how you're celebrating. In years past, I've gone to the Quonset Hut or watched from Waterfront Park. Alternatives??
As I said, I have lots of catching up to do. Hopefully will get to it in the next day or two. In the meantime, love this weather and love the pre-Derby vibe.

1 comment:

Gabe Bullard said...

For Speed parking, I think it's easiest just to bite the bullet and park in the garage right next to the museum. You'll pay, but it's fairly reasonable.

Or, if you're taking advantage of the extended hours, just park at a meter after 4 and pay it until 6, when it becomes free...or go on Sunday.

If you want to risk it elsewhere, there's a lot on Eastern, about 100 yards from 3rd and a more remote lot further south on 3rd. I've parked in those lots quite a bit and have never been ticketed, thought that may just be luck.

I hope this helps.