So, I need some good news. Here's some good news:
- Thanks again to the folks at Bohlsen PR for setting up the Cirque Dreams Holidaze giveaway. We have two very happy winners. Thank you too to Michelle at Consuming Louisville who played fairy godmother and added two extra tickets to the mix so we could, indeed, have two winners. Even if you didn't win, you should go. It looks like all kinds of good holiday fun-- who doesn't love acrobats and stuff?-- and the Palace Theater is a magical place to see anything, anytime.
- Speaking of theater, I'm very sad to have to miss The Disappearance of Daniel Hand at Walden. It's being directed by Alex Volz, whose work at Walden is consistently fantastic. Really, people, I promise I wouldn't lead you astray-- you should really check out this show. Supporting Walden is so important for the future of arts in this city. And someday you might just be saying, "Hey I saw that actor when he/she was a teenager..."
- And speaking of supporting the arts (and in decidedly ungood news...), Gabe Bullard's Edit post about the Louisville Orchestra's financial woes and likely cutbacks made me powerful sad. Who's going to save the day??
- QUICK! I NEED SOME GOOD NEWS FAST! ::deep breath:: Right, so the reason I can't go to the Walden Play is that I will be someplace that rhymes with Whizney Girled. And while the trip is 95% business, and it won't be all that much fun, it is very possible that I will be spending this coming Sunday at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter! (yeah, I couldn't figure out how to rhyme that one...) Seriously, I am so excited that I haven't even allowed myself to look at the website. I mentioned it to a group of teenagers today, and one of them brought up the fact that there is an Olivander's wand shop there, and all five of us-- zombie-like-- intoned "swish and flick, swish and flick" in unison. Good news for the rest of you: Deathly Hallows. Two days. Need I say more? #mynerdinessisstrongerthanmypride
- Did anyone catch Louisville's own Nichole Scherzinger on tonight's How I Met Your Mother? Who knew there was a "Jessica Glitter" counterpart to Robin's "Robin Sparkles"? No, I don't think she's the "mother."
- As we speak, Roommate is gearing up for ESPN's 25+ hour NCAA hoops marathon that starts at midnight. Yes, he intends to stay up for it all. Yes, he stocked up on snacks and beverages. U of L plays Butler at "Pitino's Palace" (aka, the Whale, the Fish, the Bucket) tomorrow night at 8pm on ESPN. GO CARDS! Roommate wants me to tweet Dickie V and invite him over for drinks...
- Did you happen to catch Louisville Life this weekend? If not, you missed a great show-- I'm so glad that Casa Lou now gets local channels again. This week's episode featured a really nice story on River City Canoe & Kayak. AND, if you were paying attention, Lou herself was featured in a lot of nice footage of paddling on the river. (My 15 minutes of fame are dwindling quickly.)
- Reminder: Actors Theater is currently showing "A Christmas Story"-- which I saw last year and is fabulous. AND is starting Neil Simon's "Barefoot in the Park"-- which I can't wait to see.
That's all for me for now. If anyone has any secrets about how to scrape your windows with minimal elbow grease, let me know. I have a feeling it's going to be another bad morning tomorrow. But with all this GOOD NEWS... naw, it's still going to suck. Bah humbug, winter!