Sunday, July 3, 2011

4th of July: Best Going Away Party Ever!

If you follow me on Twitter (@loueyville), you probably know that I will be vacating the city for a month next weekend. I'm attending a Super Awesome Adult Literary Nerd camp in Nevada and Connecticut and then spending a week visiting with all the New England Lous.

I spent this past week visiting with my lovely Louisville friends, catching up and saying goodbye for the time being.

Just a side note: I know I say this often, but it bears repeating for the social media doubters out there (if you're reading this blog, I'm probably preaching to the choir.)...  between Waterfront Wednesday, a lunch date with eight amazing women, a splendid Shabbat dinner, and a trip to the Le Grange quarry, I probably met up with two dozen people this week.  You know how many I met through this blog or Twitter? 100%. Man, I love you people.

Anyway, my social calendar for the next week before I leave is surprisingly empty, and it's just as well.  There's lots of prep for this trip, and I have a ton of projects on my summer to-do list that are incomplete or have been ignored.

But it's Fourth of July weekend, and I'm telling you, I feel like the Waterfront Park folks are throwing a Going Away party especially for me.  July 4th's free show on the Waterfront features three amazing bands: The Funky METERS, De La Soul, and Fitz & the Tantrums. If you were to ask me what kind of music I like, I could pretty much sum it up by pointing to this line-up.

The METERS are a New Orleans institution.  They've been around since the late 60's, off and on.  And they feature members of the most iconic musical families in New Orleans: Art Neville, Joseph Batiste, George Porter Jr.  If you're a fan of HBO's TREME (and if you're not, you should be... amazing), you need to be at this show.

De La Soul was a band that was in constant rotation on my CD player in college.  They're hip-hop light with smart lyrics and a fantastic groove.  And Fitz & the Tantrums' song "Money Grabber" is easily one of my top five favorite recent songs.

This is a line-up that was created for me.  This is my kind of music, people, and I am so terrifically excited (I could take or leave the fireworks, frankly).

The gates open at 5pm.  No outside food or beverages, except sealed water bottles.  You can also bring a 32oz or smaller refillable water bottle (but it must be empty).  Y'all should have a late lunch/early dinner before heading down, although there will be vendors.  Chairs, blankets, umbrellas = all okay.

Don't forget that the Bats are also in town, so parking near Waterfront Park is going to be a real bugger.  Check out your local TARC busses.  Some routes are canceled for the holiday.  There will be a bike valet available, so if you know how to ride a bike (alas, I do not), that's going to be your best bet.

So thank you, Waterfront Park folks, for throwing me the best Going Away Party!  I am counting the hours, and I will dance my pants off.

PS: Louisville is really loving me this year.  Not only is this a great Going Away party, but August's Waterfront Wednesday concert is on my birthday.  Save the date!

1 comment:

Jules0705 said...

I am so excited for you to attend your class. What a terrific opportunity!