Monday, February 16, 2009

Loueyvillager Powers Activate! Form of A Letter of Support

This weekend is Kentucky Crafted: The Market at the Expo Center. Now, I've never been, and the website is awfully unhelpful when it comes to telling me what to expect (but it is very nice that it features a $3 off coupon), but there's all kinds of good listy thingies that think Kentucky Crafted is pretty special.

Back in December, American Style Magazine named it #2 on its list of Top 10 Arts Fairs & Festivals. And how much does it ROCK that St. James Court Art Show is #6 and Francisco Farm's Art Fair at Midway College (also in KY) is #7. Say what you will about Kentuckians, but we apparently know how to put on an art show. The KY department of tourism lists it in its top 10 events, as does the Southeast Tourism Council. Good stuff, I guess. I will be there with bells on.

(That being said, I really hope Kentucky Crafted isn't a "craft show" like, say, the Ursuline's Art Fair-- which, by the way, is moving to the campus of the Louisville Collegiate School next fall-- or the Cherokee Park Art Fairs are "art fairs." There's some good stuff there, given, but a lot of the stuff is mass-produced and soulless. I'd say the same thing about the St. James Art Show, but I think someone might try and revoke m y citizenship of this city if I talked trash about St. James. Again, some nice stuff. But lots of beads and scarves and pocketbooks. I'm just saying.)

Anyhoo, on to the point: Over at FatLip, Stephen George has posted a... well, I'll just let him explain:

The American Craft Council (ACC), the nation's largest non-profit contemporary craft organization, is planning to relocate its headquarters from New York City. Greater Louisville is one of eight cities asked to respond to a Request for Proposal (RFP) from the ACC as they begin the process developing their short list of preferred headquarter locations. Greater Louisville Inc. (GLI) is working with several local arts organizations, the state, artists and local government to help spread the word.

Part of that process involves gathering letters of support to help make the case for Louisville. In order to demonstrate the support the ACC would receive in Louisville, GLI is asking members of the community to write a short (one page) letter of support regarding the benefits of locating an organization in Louisville. GLI's deadline to respond to the RFP is coming up quickly, so they ask that you send your letter c/o Bobby Ferreri at GLI (614 W. Main St., Ste 6000, Louisville 40202) by February 20. However, please address the letters to: Andrew Glasgow, Executive Director American Craft Council=2 072 Spring Street 6th Floor New York, NY 10012-4019

(Mama's note: that last little bit confused me, but that might just be my burned out chemo brain. He means ADDRESS the letter to Andrew Glasgow-- as in Dear Mr. Glasgow-- but SEND it to the GLI.)

Heck yes! That's a cause I can truly get behind. We want this, Loueyvillagers. Contemporary craft goes very nicely with things like 21c and Museum Plaza and the Arts and Crafts Museum and bourbon (because everything goes well with bourbon).

And if you write a letter, and I think you should, send it along to me. If I like it, I'll post it. If I don't like it, I'll probably still post it. Don't forget, we're lou at loueyville.com.

(If you're wondering what the other Wondertwin power "form" would be, it would be a stamp. Of course.)

1 comment:

Marci said...

I'm an ex-louisvillian (louisvillan?) and enjoy reading your blog -- anxious to have the report from this event. And I hear you on the 'mass produced' stuff at so called craft shows. We've got that issue here in Jersey as well.